Skip to main content

5th Element: Fashion Show

I enjoyed watching the futuristic movie 5th element. I particularly enjoyed the fashion that was shown in the movie. I thought it was minimalistic but very futuristic. Leeloo had few outfits but the ones she wore were incredible and vibrant. I also really liked Zorg’s outfit, it showed men’s work wear but also had a shiny green color that made it different than what we see today especially on men. This is what inspired me for my fashion outfit. I wanted to use menswear and reconstruct it into a women’s look and repurpose items like a tie. I went to the thrift store not having an exact idea of what I was doing and I came across 2 gorgeous purple stri[ped men’s button downs, one specifically that had a green tint to it which made it unique. I then found a large lavender skirt that I cut up to make floating sleeves. I found a children’s vest that I would have my model fit into and wear. I found a lavender fur scarf that would be cut and glued around the trim of the vest. I also bought a purple tennis skirt to be the basis of my bottoms so I could glue some patchwork pieces from the men shirts on it. I chopped up the shirts leaving the mid-section for the top. I ended up also adding cut up pieces of the buttons on the tops as well to add some patchwork. I repurposed the shirt cuffs to go around the floating sleeve and around the ankles. I also used a tie I bought and styled it in my model’s hair as a repurposed use for a tie. I loved this project the most from the semester because it challenged my creativity and I love fashion. Overall, my groups message was how blurred gender roles specifically with clothing is so influential and relevant in the future and nobody will care if clothes are men’s or women’s and we want to represent that in our looks. The colors and the silver chrome are also futuristic, and I believe patchwork will be something that only continues to gain popularity in time. People will continue to recycle clothes and patchwork will become a norm in the future.  



 







    


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

First Class and About Me

 I am a senior at UT and very excited to takes this class. My hometown is Syracuse NY and I am an allied health major with a minor in marketing. I have interest in the medical field. My hobbies include watching movies with friends and shopping/thrifting. I love fashion and making crafty things. I chose this class because I think science fiction is so interesting, personally I love watching movies and shows that make me feel like I am in a different place or part of the show. I also am interested in artificial intelligence and how our future can change so drastically everyday from it. I really enjoy watching movies but I do not love writing, I am more of a math and science person who enjoys learning visually. I expect to challenge my mind during this course and push myself to think in new creative ways. I do think many movies show how our future can end up and what our technology is evolving towards. 

Love, Death + Robots

     My favorite short from Love, Death + Robots was Three Robots: Exit Strategies. This short film was produced by Blow Studio based in Spain, sci-fi writer John Scalzi created both the original and the sequel of “Three Robots”. This short story was to send a message while adding a sense of humor. This story is a great depiction of what the future might hold as far as humans being the ultimate threat to themselves. I enjoyed this film the most because it shows how futuristic the technology could be with robots but also how terrible the future could be if humans do not start changing their ways. The robots have become smarter than humans and even mock them as their creators. The whole film these three robots walk around a post-apocalypse world and digest what they are seeing how at fault humans are.  While trying to figure out how to survive in this world the robots discover human remains of a “survivalist camp” where humans wanted civilization to collapse because they wanted freedom

The Matrix notes

- Neo’s mouth suddenly closes just from the detective mentioning it and a little robotic bug goes into his belly button - Then the detectives say he will help them and Neo wakes up in his bed and believes he was dreaming - The next day Morpheus calls him and says to meet him and explains to him that he has known about the Matrix his whole life and its everywhere around him - He explains that no one can be told what it is but you have to see it for yourself, he gives Neo an option to take the blue pill and forget anything ever happened or take the red pill and go down the rabbit hole with the truth - Neo takes the red pill, they hook him up to wires  - He wakes up in a take all slimy with tubes connected to him and sees building like structures filled with the same tanks of people like him  - A flying spider like structure comes and releases him from the tubes and he falls into a pit of water and Morpheus gets him and says we found him trinity he’s the one - Neo asks why